Saturday, October 4, 2008

Lab #3: Locomotor Skills II

Tasks
A. To observe the interaction between Cortland students and St. Mary’s students.
B. Locomotor Skills Part B Worksheet.

TASK A – OBSERVATION/REFLECTION


1. Observe the St. Mary’s student(s) as they participate in the activities. Describe the variability of the movement patterns you observed. Be sure to note with whom you worked , what grade they were in, and any differences in age, gender, or ability.

The locomotive skills were very limited. When they were playing the games they started out running and then at the end they would do the specified skill. The 6 year old, kindergarten, boy was more advanced with the horizontal jump and slide, while the 5 year old, kindergarten girl was lacking in almost all of these locomotive skills. They both seem to have an idea of what the movements should look like.

2. Describe “teaching strategies” that YOU used today towards connecting with the children. What were they? How did YOU use them? What was the effect? Were there any strategies that were more effective than others? If so, why?

A few teaching strategies I used today was having the kids demonstrate each of the locomotive skills before we played the game. This then allowed me to see who needed help and if we needed to modify the game a little bit. I also played the games with them so they could see how I was doing it and they could then copy me if they need a little bit of help. I think that playing the game with the students help them see what they should be doing and therefore makes this a better strategy for teaching.

3. After being at St. Mary’s for these past weeks and observing and working with the students, can you briefly describe an effective strategy (or strategies) that you used to capture the children’s attention and keep them on task for your activity.

An effective strategy that I used to capture the children’s attention and kept them on task for my activity was keeping them involved when I was explaining the rules and the locomotive skills we would be playing. This really keeps their attention because they know I will ask them questions and they might get to demonstrate how to do something.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflection:

I found that the students skills were very limited. The games that we played also affected how well the students performance of the skills, they again were rushing through the skills. I realize that we now have to play games that are not competitive, and greatly slowed down so the students do not rush.
A teaching tool that I discovered works really well with the young students was having them demonstrate a skill to the class. Not only did they get excited about showing the class, they all listened and became more involved when I explained rules. They responded to questions, and even asked questions if they were confused. I really enjoy using this teaching tool.

No comments: